Media veteran Rahul Johri becomes that first appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Nation cricket board welcomed the CEO on Wednesday, who will report to Secretary Ajay Shirke.
“BCCI extends a warm welcome to CEO Rahul Johri who takes charge from today,” the BCCI tweeted on June 1st 2016.
BCCI extends a warm welcome to CEO Mr. Rahul Johri who takes charge from today. pic.twitter.com/TtwsvCjmHL
— BCCI (@BCCI) June 1, 2016
According to the BCCI rule book, which in itself is under the scanner, the secretary is vested with all the executive powers.
Johri was recommended by the Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha committee.
Few things about Johri
- Rahul Johri worked with the Discovery Networks Asia Pacific as Executive Vice-President.
- He served as the head of India and South Asia operations for eight years.
- Under Johri, Discovery Networks grew to a 11 channel bouquet, including lifestyle, kids and Hindi entertainment channels along with three high-definition channels.
- He will still work with Discovery as an advisor till this year end
- Under his leadership, the Network’s flagship Discovery Channel became India’s biggest non-fiction entertainment channel beating several Hindi and English movie and news channels.
- Johri will be based at the BCCI headquarters in Mumbai
- Johri’s appointment comes after the Justice R.M. Lodha Committee report, which suggested a complete overhaul of the BCCI including the creation of the post of CEO.
- The BCCI, however, had said the creation of the CEO and CFO posts was part of an initiative called ‘Project Transformation’ aimed at improving governance, and operational and financial processes.
- Johri will be responsible for the smooth functioning of operations, stakeholder management and building robust strategies for further promoting the sport.
Love playing sports? Download this app "Win cash rewards while playing sports that you love".